Online Reading and Listening needed for Written Assignment #1

yarn-bombing-knitted-tank

Here are links to very contemporary art – take a look and see what artists are doing right now.   You will need to talk about one of these if you select the the first essay choice for Written Assignment #1

1. Here’s a link to MIT FAST Opera’s 2010 production: https://arts.mit.edu/fast/opera/
  2. Eric Whitacre – composer/director of Lux Aurumque – Virtual Choir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7o7BrlbaDs – Go here for a discussion: Whitacre Ted Talks
  3. Read an online article about Blue Man Group.https://www.blueman.com/boston/about-show
  4. Read an online article about Cloaca an unusual conceptual artwork https://www.artnet.com/magazine/reviews/fiers/fiers1-9-01.asp
  5. Optional video for the unusual conceptual art – Cloaca – note this may be disturbing. Cloaca – on EuroTrash TV
  6. Read and listen to Michael Lin   – and installation visual artist: https://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/lm100/artist.html?id=LIN   See a video on his exhibit in Prato, Italy: watch?v=PYob7ZlPSbo
  7.  Martin Creed   – live installation at the Tate – Work No. 850
  8. Floating Self Photographs
  9. Alyssa Monk – Photorealism

Articles relating to the Doctrine of Ethos

37 Responses to “Online Reading and Listening needed for Written Assignment #1”

1. Lonnie Dunkin writes:

John Adams audio link can be found here: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1150272 – Eerie stuff…

2. Angie writes:

After going through all of the assigned readings, I found myself most interested in the article on the Mozart effect. When I was in high school one of my teachers used to play classical music in the background when we were taking exams because she was certain that it would help us focus and achieve higher scores. I never put much stock in the idea, although I will admit that the music was relaxing during class. But generally if I am trying to concentrate on something I need the atmosphere to be very quiet. Therefore, the article about how music’s temporary effect on problem solving is still controversial and not a scientific fact was new to me – having grown up with the notion that it did help on some level. Does anyone feel that listening to music while doing homework or figuring out a complex problem helps?

3. Tara Gardner writes:

I had a teacher who played music during tests too. I thought it was pretty calming and helped me. Although I think you have to be careful what kind of music you use. I certainly wouldn’t recommend listening to T-pain or anything! Or any music with lyrics because then you can get distracted with what they are saying rather than the beat.

4. Kellie Ftize writes:

It seems to me that listening to music while studying may be related to learning styles. I want absolute quiet, however I have friends that always have music playing, regardless of what they are doing.

5. Corrisa Smith writes:

I was interested in the power that we as a country give to music. In the article about the Motzart Effect, I was surprized that there are laws having to do with the use of music in schools. Then again in the Music as Torture article with it’s use in that connotation. It it interesting that something so ‘paranormal’ is given such credence in our culture when it’s not a widely known or believed idea. I was intrigued.

6. Cari Tirrell writes:

I thought the article on the Motzart effect was very interesting, but for me listening to music, regardless of the type, during class or study I found to be more distracting then helpful. I believe that it all depends on the individual. So if you are easily distracted or if your mind tends to wander than listening to music during class is probably not for you.

7. Amy W. writes:

Whether we agree with the possibilities of the “Mozart Effect” or not, we must all choose our own way. We each have our preferences on music. We choose whether to listen to it while trying to do certain tasks or just while relaxing. I feel we each have our own thought process and the infuences of music on this process is as unique as we are.

8. Michelle Felix writes:

This is very interesting information give that I am married to a musician. We were just discussing earlier this evening how he is constantly tapping out a tune, humming or singing. This helps him focus,it is just the way that his mind works. I find that when I am studying and listening to music it is easier for me to stay on task and not be as distracted by the world around me. I think that I find tasks more pleasurable if there is music involved as well. Doing the dishes is so much better if I am belting out a tune with the radio!! I know that for our household, music enhances all that we do.

9. Melody S. writes:

Music is a very powerful thing and I find that it is a good source of stimulation, but sometimes distracting, depending on who you are. Some people find that music is a distraction when they attempt to concentrate, and I believe it is due to the fact that they are so engrossed with the music, to some subconscious extent, that they cannot focus on the work at hand. Personally, I find it hard to work without music, when doing things such as cleaning, studying, or working out I love to listen to music. There are different types of music for the different tasks I do. I know that I find music to be a very big part of my life, so I do believe it helps me with every day tasks. I often find myself humming or whistling, if there is nothing playing in the background. I think also that the type of music we listen to, in a way, reflects who we really are, or helps release the part of us that we tend to lay to rest in every day life. Music is a way of expressing things that sometimes are hard to do with words or actions. As humans I believe we all are in tuned with music and music helps us better ourselves in many ways.

10. Kristina Miller writes:

I would agree with Michelle that music does effect our daily lives and our moods. Music has the power to relax, excite, invoke pain or pleasure to the point that we wonder what music cannot do. The “Mozart Effect” seems to show that listening to certain music makes your IQ higher but I think it might be just that if one is engaged in a mental exercise that they will becoming smarter not necessarily because they are listening to Mozart. Aristotle and Plato both believe that music has a large impact on our morals and emotions but I know that people who listen to rap music about stealing, sex, drugs and other things deemed immoral that they are not absolutely immoral people. I think that music may trigger certain thoughts to do certain actions or invoke emotions and feelings but I do no think that music has absolute power over the human psych or else we would probably find religious beliefs based on melody and beat.

11. Edmond Knapp writes:

You really have to love music because it is truly a universal language was people from all nation and races can really come and have a common interest. No matter where you go there will always be somebody some ware listening to music.

12. Lindsey von Borstel writes:

I agree that music certainly is a powerful influence in our lives. It has the power to influence our emotions and our actions. It tells a story and reflects our culture. I know that music is very important in my life. As a dancer, music is part of who I am.

13. Lindsey Grafton writes:

Wholly crap batman! this will definately turn my night into somethng other than boring ole tv time. Thank you.

14. lisakljaich writes:

Christopher – The use of RealPlayer is out of my control if you want to listen to this file. This is the format that NPR used at the time this recording was made, and it is the only way to access it through their archives.

15. Jody Martin writes:

I had family killed in 911. I must have listen to this 20 times just hoping to hear…….something. I’m not sure what but just something.

16. jessica wert writes:

The Cloaca is crazy. After seeing the Artist other pieces one can only expect him to eventual create poop. All I can say is this would happen in Europe. The US is to conservative to make anus kisses art, and if some one would it would never make the news.

17. Corina Banning writes:

The John Adams piece is and interesting one, and he has a good point. Instead of trying bring about on huge mass of joint emotion, he is instead trying to bring people together as individuals with different reactions, emotions and memories of the same event. And let them blend and react naturally in concert with the piece

18. Jay Rapoza writes:

Going off of what Jessica said about anus kisses, what qualifies it as art and what ever you justified it with, America wouldn’t appreciate those “Artistic values”. Personally I don’t think anus kisses are art but that is just my opinion and for those of you who do, what is your opinion about the Metallica Load album cover? Would that be considered art?

19. Stavros Stathakos writes:

I think that the Cloaca by Wim Delvoye is a great opener to this course. I love how it shocks the audience. It objectifies natural human chemical reactions found in the body showcasing the obvious fact that as humans create waste, lot of it. looking at the Cloaca is like relieving yourself in front of a mirror with a transparent body. In response to my classmates Rapoza and Wert, what makes these pieces art is not in what continent they where created in but more so in the vision the artist had in creating something like this, as well as the reaction it can generate. Whether someone see’s this as art I think is strictly on the eye of the beholder.

20. Lisa Ellanna writes:

I’ve had discussions about these class opening pieces, with my older children. The subject we were all most concerned with, was the use of music as torture. I was in the position of explaining to them, what possible justification the military would have in doing such things. Music is something that we honor in our home as one of the most sacred forms of art and communication, especially in our native dances. This led me to internalize this most aweful social commentary, and make some conclusions… first, that our society does not put enough energy or resources into our public school system. Secondly, that although we’ve come a long way, we, as a nation, have a very long way to go in human rights.

21. Tara Geoffroy writes:

In my opinion what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. At least we have some sort of moral objectives when it comes to things like torture. Other countries will peal your skin off and stuff it down your throat. They will laugh at anyone who tells them they can’t and do it to them too. so when our soldiers are literally ripped apart at the seams by other countries think again about the easy time we are giving them! These things are not publicized and for good reason but they happen every day.

22. David Andrew writes:

I’ve heard that classical music has positive energy flow.

23. Heather writes:

I always have music or something playing in the background. For some reason it has always helped me concentrate more. I also make playlists according to what I am doing. i try to match the mood and tempo to the subject.

24. April Burrows writes:

The piece on John Adams was very thought provoking. I would have loved to be able to see a piece like that live. For me, he was correct that it was thought provoking instead of just overwhelming like the pictures and news stories were.

Thanks for posting that.

25. Hector Fisher writes:

Torture is a touchy subject and I do not agree with it!

26. Joel Isaak writes:

I think that Mozart’s music my affect the spacial part of the brain because or the way he had to feel music resonating in his body to actually compose. He felt music in a three dimensional form rather than just hearing it. I would liken it Michel Lin’s work. He is working in a two dimensional form but because of the scale he is producing instillation sculptural work that is impacting. The Fast Opera is like a mixture of the two of these concepts.

27. ljkljaich writes:

Just a note – Michael Lin is not limited to a 2 dimensional form. I’ve been to one of his exhibits. He had a library, a bar, a living room, all with furniture of his creation, including the fabric coverings. He also created a series of moving room dividers.

28. Bailey Brewer writes:

Whenever I am doing simple assignments ill listen to music because they don’t take much brain power to do but if its a test or a difficult assignment that I need to focus on I think that the music takes away your concentration to do well on them. I had a teacher last year that would play music during the tests and exams and I did not find it helpful at all.

29. Andra Woodard writes:

I, myself, find that if I listen to classical composers such as Mozart or even more recent artists such as Jim Brinkman, I am able to consentrate more on what I am reading because I am not being distracted by everyday noises. As long as there are no words to the music and it has a relaxing melody I can study for hours and retain more of the information I had read. The same goes for test taking. If I have to focus on what I am doing classical music is always on.

30. Stephanie Williams writes:

I find the Mozart effect interesting. I personally need absolute silence to study, but after hearing about this theory a couple years ago I have always played some sort of classical music for my son while he sleeps. I was one of those parents who ran out and bought the “Baby Mozart” DVD thinking my son would be a genius when he grew up if he listened to it in his sleep! While I don’t really depend on the DVD, I figure it is calming while he sleeps and can’t hurt anything.

31. amaillet writes:

I absolutely was blown away by FAST Opera. Opera is incredible powerful in the first place, but to add the speed and characters to take your senses to a whole new level is fantastic. The amount of creativity and talent that is needed to accomplish a FAST Opera show is tremendous. Now I need to find a way to get to Boston to see it with my own eyes.

32. Julio writes:

I enjoyed Natsumi’s work very much. It looks easy but don’t let it fool you at all, it is not easy to jump and pose at the same time unless you have the assistance of photoshop handy.

33. Cindy writes:

Michael Lin is amazing. I enjoy looking at his work, it is peaceful and calm as well as beautiful. I also like that he took the pathos going on outside of him and turned inward to create the opposite effect. Testing and pushing the boundaries of conventional space defining art appeals to me.

34. Steven Temple writes:

I’ve looked through the online reading and listening assignments. Once that task was done I realized how Art comes in different ways. This made me also realize how people can express themselves and their views through the different kind of art they do. For example Eurotrash Cloaca brought a whole new perspective on something a lot of people find obscure. At the same time though a brought respect to a the poo that I could of never thought possible. There are many views in art, they just need to be able to be understood. Micheal Lin creates art to surround his environment with something beautiful and FAST opera shows a possible future and challenges people my grasp one day.

35. Shekinah writes:

I have seen many of these sites before in my ongoing quest for seeking out unusual art forms. It amazes me the creativity of the world but I also find myself questioning how people can define some things as art. For example the Cloaca exhibit reminds me of a book I once read about a gay artist and in one of his exhibits he defecated and molded it into something. To me, that is not a form of art it is a form primitive in nature. We have evolved into thinking, creating being over thousands of years but it seems as though people are taking their ability to express themselves in a manner that is vulgar and crude to society as a whole. Regardless of the reaction this piece obtained which ultimately “defines it as art” in the free world, I think we have taken our broad definition of art to extremes, just as the humor of today is much different than humor of say 20-30 years ago. Today it is much more in your face, fart, piss, crap, sex associated than it is thought-provoking. It seems as though with art like this, the beginning stages of ‘Idiocracy’ are beginning to take shape.

36. Kirsten Crush writes:

Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir was awe inspiring. I am truly amazed at the illuminating sound that can be produced from people that are singing through a computer. Harmony like that takes so much practice to accomplish. I can’t imagine how difficult that was not even being in the same room. Technology has truly changed the face of music.

37. Johne45 writes:

Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is a really well written article. Ill make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return. decdekedcaag