1.7- Theatre During the Italian Renaissance

Comedia dell’arte

Italian Renaissance Drama

• Renewed interest in the plays from Ancient Rome, and Greece.
  • Most important was the building of a few important playhouses, in particular
  • Teatro Olimpico

Next: The Italian Renaissance Glossary

11 Responses to “1.7- Theatre During the Italian Renaissance”

1. jessica wert writes:

Italian comedy is very different than American comedy. I wonder what they would think of Family Guy and Robot Chicken.

2. Chaitanya Borade writes:

I think you have to know the culture to get to understand and enjoy the theater performances.

3. Lisa Ellanna writes:

It was the Renaissance period equivalent to our “Saturday Night Live”! what a wonderful medium to release social tensions! Laughter is the best medicine.

4. Gloria Tucker writes:

I found all of this rather interesting. Especially the short comedy act, it gave you a small look into renaissance entertainment.

5. jzollman writes:

I, too, thought of today’s “Saturday Night Live.” There are also other versions of this style of theater such as “Kids In the Hall” and “The Whitest Kids You Know.” These incorporate stock characters and heavily use physical comedy and improvised dialog and reactions to each others characters to create comedy.

6. Anonymous writes:

I really love this because it is so over the top. I’m surprised they have such a great sense of humor back then.

7. Music During the Italian Renaissance | ART/MUS/THR F200 writes:

[…] Next: Theater During the Italian Renaissance […]

8. morgan925igap@yahoo.com writes:

I did not know that there were characters behaviors in theater, I did enjoy the magnifico character.

9. Rebekah Mitchell writes:

I agree with one one of the older comments, i reminds me of Saturday Night Live

10. prace wysokościowe warszawa writes:

Hello to every body, it’s my first go to see of this blog;
    this website carries amazing and genuinely excellent material designed for readers.

11. ljkljaich writes:

This is no longer an active blog site – a new blog site was created https://art-mus-thr200.community.uaf.edu