1.4- Influences on the Italian Renaissance

Politics

The Medici Family of Florence was one of the most influential political forces behind the Italian Renaissance.   This is important information you should read carefully.   Hopefully you can watch the video too.

Religion

rome1_2140704bThe Reinvention of Rome Lecture – Click on Photo

The Reinvention of Rome – An important article about the relationship of the Catholic Church, power, rivalry and artists and composers.

• The return of the Pope to Rome
  • The Golden Age – Julius II to Leo X
  • Money for artists
  • Mining the past

The Dark Side of Art

Explore how the arts and religion were in conflict during the Italian Renaissance in this must read article.

Savonarola & Bonfire of the Vanities

Savonarola Monument Ferrara, Italy

Savonarola Monument Ferrara, Italy

Science & Technology

Skim these articles to get a sense of the influence of science, math and technology as related to the arts.

Next: The visual arts during the Renaissance

13 Responses to “1.4- Influences on the Italian Renaissance”

1. jessica wert writes:

I can not get over how religion and art were so closely linked.

2. Rebecka writes:

It makes one wonder how many wonderful, and maybe not so wonderful, pieces of art have been lost over the centuries due to the fact that there was so little value placed on the piece of artwork that it was destroed like some of the works that Botticelli ended up burning himself, deeming them as vanities….. and we now would call them masterpieces.

3. Chaitanya Borade writes:

This part of the Renaissance seems to have bored the golden thinkers of all time on this planet. Excellent documentary.

4. Chris Naber writes:

your link “Godfathers of the Renaissance” does not seem to be working. I do not know if there is an error or if it is my internet. Either way, I just figured I would let know.

5. Heidi Livengood writes:

Chris – did you try opening the link in a new tab? It is working that way for me.

6. ljkljaich writes:

Check with OIT – The link is working, so it is something with your particular connection.

7. jean marshall writes:

I love that the article on Medici under general information was written by an 8th grader – complete with bibliography!

8. jzollman writes:

The separation of church and state, that we today take for granted, stems from the influence both good and bad of the marriage of political and religious power that prevailed until recent times. Reading Nicolo Machiavelli, one begins to understand the perspective of Renaissance leaders when the writer encourages leaders to use religion and religious art as a means of satisfying their subjects, whether or not the leader actually held those values. Religion was a means of controlling and defining society and extracting revenue, while causing the subjects to believe it was for their own good.

9. 3/4 inch impact wrench reviews writes:

Excellent web site. Plenty of useful information here. I’m sending it to a few buddies ans additionally sharing
    in delicious. And of course, thank you in your effort!

10. Shekinah writes:

Professor- I bet your in-person classes are a favorite among students. With your knowledge in art and history, you are one person that I am sure is inspiring to many. I am looking forward to more power point slides you created in the future!

11. Humanism During the Renaissance | ART/MUS/THR F200 writes:

[…] Next: Influences on the arts during the Reniassance […]

12. morgan925igap@yahoo.com writes:

A lot of time, energy and money went into creating art, whereas today I can have my dog stomp on a piece of paper and call it art.

13. Rebekah Mitchell writes:

Interesting information…I like how closely related religion and art are.